Hello :wave:, my name is Nick and I am a software developer living in San Diego. I like to build tools which raise and simplify the user interface in complex domains.
Fitbit // Lead software engineer 2021 - 2012
I spent my last three years at Fitbit on the Data Platform team where we worked on transforming Fitbit from a hardware focused company to a data focused company.
- Integrated Big Data projects (e.g. spark jobs) into the CI/CD monorepo build system shared by microservices (a.k.a. the data producers and feature consumers).
- Created an algorithm development abstraction in
scalafor building, testing, and deploying research based health feature algorithms at scale.
- Rolled-out a
terraformbacked Data Warehouse based on Bigquery; this included a Slack bot written in
gowhich allowed users to grant, view, and revoke data access privileges.
- Brought schema to a JSON world; won over a diverse set of stakeholders through clear and concise storytelling.
Prior to my time on the Data Platform team, Fitbit was in startup mode and engineers were spread thin as we scaled up.
- Developed a monorepo build system in
- Introduced some NoSQL (
cassandra) to the tech stack in order to mitigate scaling challenges.
- Cranked out finagle-based
javamicroservices as we tore apart the old monolithic app while maintaining the public API.
- Designed, built, and maintained features (e.g. friends, leaderboard, challenges) as Fitbit scaled a few orders of magnitude.
UCLA // B.S. Computer Science and Engineering 2011
- raiju // Provide insights for routing node management on the Lightning Network.
- mango // Keep personal user manuals on commonly used commands.
Rest of my code lives at Github and Source Hut.
- Surfing, you can find me paddling out at Grandview.
- Running long distances like marathons and ultras.
- Big into history podcasts.